Tuesday, July 21, 2015

The Next Summit Attempt

Welcome back, folks. It's been way too long since I made it to the outdoors. Moving to the desert southeast region of Washington for the new job has been a big change for me and I am just now starting to adjust.

I realize I haven't blogged in a while but I am excited to have a good reason for a post! I spent my entire morning today researching all of the information needed to climb Mt. Adams. I sat in bed and fantasized about falling into a crevasse on the way up and the windy conditions we might face as we make the harrowing climb to the summit at four in the morning. Soon enough my day had slipped away and I was still in bed at 3pm in the afternoon. How did that happen? I still feel like my day was efficient because the details are set. I called the Ranger Station out there and made an itinerary. In just a few weeks, Lauren and I will be attempting to summit Mt. Adams, one of Washington's five volcanoes, the third on my list thus far. For a little background info, my life goal is to climb all five volcanoes in this state, Rainier which I have already done in 2013 and Baker in 2014 with an unsuccessful summit of Mount St. Helens in 2014. I have come to realize that I will mostly likely finish this list within a few years. So I might extend my list to include some international volcanoes.

Here is the masterpiece I made this morning. I am so proud of my design skills.


This route is fairly non-technical, meaning you don't need a rope and a skilled team with climbing and glacier travel knowledge. You could do it entirely in one long day. However, Lauren and I are going to camp to allow some time to relax and not rush. You do need a permit through the early Spring and late Summer seasons if you are planning to climb above 7'000 feet. If you want more information about climbing this mountain, click here and here.

I am also going to see if I can do some filming up there and get a morning segment for my show "Kickstart with Kelley" on KEPR/KIMA Action News. How awesome would it be for folks to wake up to, "Good morning everyone, today I'm standing at 12,000 feet on Mt. Adams!" Haha that would be so cool..

Anyways, look for the photos in mid-August after we summit! ⤲


No comments:

Post a Comment