Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Pandas and Drones

Panda flex. West Richland, WA
Wow, it's been a while since I've blogged here. That's largely due to the fact that I haven't really done anything cool this Fall and have stayed fairly local.

Oh wait. I did do something really cool. I had a friend of mine take some video of me driving in my Jeep with his drone. I've been practicing my bumpy dirt trail driving skills at this location in West Richland. I don't really know what to call this place. It sits next to a large rock quarry and has multiple dirt paths to wander down. I've seen various types of people out there - a couple moms who seemed to be lost, like they woke up with a crazy ambitions to do something active that day and had no idea what they were getting themselves into. I've seen a few folks and their dogs tossing a ball around, and then I've seen a ton of shell casings and broken clay pigeons in the dirt. Seems like an area for all types of activities. Especially of you own a gun or a Jeep.

Anyways, I met my friend Patrick through work and interviewed him several times with the Rude Mechanicals, a local Shakespearean theater troupe in town. Not only is he a star on stage, he's also an excellent drone operator. One day, Patrick sent me video of drone shots he'd taken over the Blue Bridge and said if I ever needed to use them for work, I was welcome to. Next thing you know, Patrick, his young son, and I were headed to the quarry in WR to get some shots of Panda. We chose an excellent sunny day with light winds and got to work. Patrick said it'd taken some practice navigating his Phantom 4 but I was simply amazed at how well the shots came out. Not only does Patrick have to safely drive the drone, he has to drive the camera on the drone at the same time. The shoot came out really well. Check out my first edit below:



The Wild Panda from Kelley Bayern on Vimeo.




First ski of the season. Opening day at Bluewood 12/11/2016
I'm really not sure what's up next in terms of adventure for me. I finished summiting the Big Five this summer and don't have any large goals like that in mind. I do want to get better and skiing this season so that I can start taking up a pair of skis with me on summits and ride down. Too many times I watched in envy of the people strapping on their skis about to shred down the mountain. Seems like a no brainer as the ideal way down. I plan to take a rental pair up to Camp Muir this winter for some practice turns.

Lastly, I've been doing lots of research on how to take this blog to the next level and possibly turn it into a non profit organization of its own. How to do so and who do donate to will be the big questions. Hopefully I'll have some big news for The Northwest Bear come 2017. Happy Holidays everyone! ⤲

1 comment:

  1. You’ve got some interesting points in this article. I would have never considered any of these if I didn’t come across this. Thanks!. DronesFella

    ReplyDelete